Project Gutenberg needs our help. 100,000 active installations worth of help. Right now there are 1,000+ active installations. So, dear fellow theme and plugin author, I think we can do something about that. Here’s my plan.
If you sell WordPress-related products / services and have a newsletter form available on your website, I’m probably a subscriber of yours. If your claims about the number of subscribers are valid, then we are talking about 1,000,000 email subscribers combined. Well, let’s put these mailing lists in good use, shall we?
First things first
Test the new block editor. Read the instructions and follow the task-based task and submit the form. If you feel like it, write a blog post sharing your findings / thoughts.
Rules of engagement
- Read the instructions again. I know you didn’t.
- Even if you despise Gutenberg leave your personal opinion out of your email. It is my understanding that Project Gutenberg is not an experiment. It will find its way in core one way or another. This is not a petition to sabotage the project, mind you. All we have to do is inform the users about the project in an unbiased manner.
- This is *not* another chance to sell something. Just. inform. users. about. Gutenberg.
- Put together a sort and informative newsletter and send it. It won’t take more than 10 minutes.
- Extend their annual subscription for a few months. Or 6. You’ll be fine.
- Offer a generous renewal discount. (Not just 10% you Scrooge McDuck)
- Think of something. Most of you are better than me with these things.
If you decide to send this newsletter, let me know. I will put together a list of providers in this post.